Tuesday, February 23, 2016

#FREE Artists and Their Work: Conversations about Mograph, VFX, and Digital Art #3D + Animation #Rob Garrott

Rob Garrott, lynda.com’s video content manager, got the chance to sit down with nine influential artists to talk about their work, their inspirations, their tools, and the industry as a whole. The series kicks off with a conversation with Kris Pearn, storyboard artist for Sony Animation, and one of the people “drawing the movement” behind movies like Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. We also include interviews with the following industry pros:

LEVEL Appropriate for all

COURSE TOPICS:

READ MORE

LEARN THIS COURSE FOR FREE *10 days of free unlimited access to “Artists and Their Work: Conversations about Mograph, VFX, and Digital Art”

Instructor’s Welcome Note:

“You Got Yr. Cherry Bomb” by Spoon ? Life can be so fair ? Let it go on and on ? I can push for good ? You got that cherry bomb ? Blow out that cherry bomb ? For me ? We lost it long ago ? You and me ? There you go again ? Out in your dressing gown ? Get yourself to bed ? Blow out that cherry bomb ? Oh, life can be so fair ? Let it go on and on ? I could pay to have ? Have all your cherry bomb ? Oh, life can be so fair ? Let it go on and on ? I could pay to have ? Have all your cherry bomb ? Oh ? Oh-oo ? Oh? – Man, that song was new when that came out.
(laughs) – So that was a really cool blast from the past. Tell me a little bit about how you got started. Everyone knows you as the Gorilla, but obviously you were something before that. – Yeah, I was Ceamyorange before that. Right, so that was my After Effects, as you can see a lot of After Effects stuff in there, a lot of 2D kind of fake 3D stuff. But I got started in somewhere around 2001, 2002 I saw some MK12 stuff and that was when my mind was like “I want to do that” and I looked and at the end of their video they had what they made it with.
It was like After Effects, and Maya, and Final Cut, and I’m like I know Final Cut. It was like Final Cut 1 I was using. I’m like what’s this After Effects thing? So I start playing with it and I realize it incorporated a little bit of everything as far as my personality. I was already doing Pro Tools and audio stuff, so I was familiar with timelines. I was familiar with keyframing and volume adjustment, stuff like that. – Wait, so were you a musician before this? – Yeah, I mean I grew up a musician and always interested in like 4-tracks. I was always recording my own stuff so when Mac could finally, when I could finally get like an 8-track Pro Tools rig where I could record eight at a time and it played back 16, my mind was like wow, it was blown.
It was crazy, it was like 2000, 2001, had the Mac there, it was my first Mac, had FInal Cut, learned how to keyframe and move video around. I had a Hi8 digital camera and you know, the technology was so nothing back then, but it was enough for me to go this is really cool. – It was revolutionary though. – Yeah, for me to be able to do it in an apartment was a big deal, right. And I always grew up around computers, always grew up around music, and so when I saw what After Effects could do it was right when they had the 3D After Effects.
So it was right between and five and 5.5, which will date me, but (laughs) once I saw that you can not just take stuff and move it in and out and scale it, but also, what you could do in Final Cut, but also with the new After Effects you could take a camera and really like do the postcards in space, they called it. Right, you remember that? You could fly a camera around it and what that meant to me was I could bring a photo in, I could bring a piece of video in. I learned how to roto things out and fly through. I started buying books, Angie Taylor and Chris and Trish.
Right and my favorite, Brian Maffitt. and “Total Training.” – (laughs) Yes, yes. – So I’ve been a fan of video training for forever, right. It was me and Brian Maffitt on VHS tapes. (laughs) Back in the day and I didn’t even have a DVD player. You know, I’m watching these VHSs on like After Effects 4.1 or something like that and I’m like well if I get through these then and I’m still into it, maybe I’ll buy the “Total Training 5.5” discs, you know. And that was like years later I could finally figure all this stuff out.
So kind of grew up on Brian Maffitt teaching me all these things, and some books, and made the most complicated, technical, ugly stuff in After Effects for years. Learned every button, learned how to make roller coasters in After Effects, learned how to put layers together really to make 3D objects and all my friends just kept saying like learn a 3D program because I kept making real you know, all these, I was basically building things polygon by polygon, but layer by layer.

 

 

Get 10 days of FREE unlimited access to Lynda.com.

Artists and Their Work: Conversations about Mograph, VFX, and Digital Art
Animation Tutorials
tutorials
Lynda review



from Course reviews, freebies, coupons http://www.coursetag.com/free-artists-and-their-work-conversations-about-mograph-vfx-and-digital-art-3d-animation-rob-garrott/

No comments:

Post a Comment