Wednesday, March 9, 2016

#FREE Monday Productivity Pointers #Business #iOS

In this weekly series on being productive with technology, authors Jess Stratton, Garrick Chow, and Nick Brazzi introduce tools and tips to help make today’s software and devices work more efficiently and powerfully for you. With everything from pointers on using Microsoft Office and Google platforms to learning social networking skills and discovering the most useful apps for your iPhone or Android device, there’s something for everyone.

LEVEL Appropriate for all

COURSE TOPICS:

READ MORE

LEARN THIS COURSE FOR FREE *10 days of free unlimited access to “Monday Productivity Pointers”

Instructor’s Welcome Note:

– My name is Jess Stratton and welcome to this week’s edition of Monday Productivity Pointers. In late November, Amazon introduced two factor authentication for all of it’s user accounts. Using it isn’t mandatory to use Amazon, it’s an optional security measure, but it’s a great one, and you should enable it. Especially, as Amazon has been around long enough, and we use it enough. Because if you’re like me, you can put in your Amazon username and password so quickly, without even realizing it on a regular basis. Two factor authentication is a security protocol online, that involves adding an additional security item along with your existing password.
This additional item is a code, and it’s temporarily given from your phone via text, email, or a special app. This way, even if someone acquires your password, they still can’t access your account, unless they have your phone in hand to get that code at that particular time they want to log in to your account. Let’s start by enabling two factor authentication on my Amazon account. I’m here on Amazon.com. Click Your Account on the right hand-side, and then choose Your Account.
You may already be signed in, but in this case I’m not, so I’ll click the yellow Sign In button. From here, scroll down to the middle of the page in Your Account. In the Settings area, choose Change Account Settings. I can see things like my name, email and a mobile phone number if I have one. I’m going to click Edit in Account Security Settings. Here’s where we can enable Two-Step Verification. This is going to need your mobile phone on hand to do this.
I’ll click the yellow Get Started button. The first thing I need to do is put in the phone number that can receive text messages via SMS. Some landlines can do this, so if you don’t want to do this on your mobile phone you can put in your home phone number. You also have a choice of using an Authenticator App. This can generate codes for you, even if you don’t have cell service on your phone, or you don’t want to get text messages on a regular basis. In this case, I am going to choose text messages, so I’ll make sure my correct phone number is in there, and I’ll click Send Code.
The code gets sent to my phone. It just arrived, so I’m going to go look at my text messages and then I’ll input that code into the box. Click Verify code and continue. Now, we need to choose a backup method of authentication. In case you don’t have access to your phone, or you lose access to your account, you can specify, in fact, you must specify, a backup method. You can either choose an additional phone number, or you can use an Authenticator App.
This can generate codes for you, even when you don’t have cell service, like you could the first time around when we put in our phone number instead. This time I’ll choose Authenticator App. You’ll first need to download that particular app from the app store. And if you click Learn how, it’s going to give you some titles that you can download. I’ve already done that. It’s waiting on my camera, so I’m going to go ahead and scan this barcode. I’ve scanned it, and I’ve been give a code, so I’m going to put that in now.
I’ll click Verify code and continue. Now I have Two-Step Verification turned on for my Amazon account. The sign in is going to be a little bit different. It’s not going to be as easy as putting in my username and password. Once I put in my username and password, I then, need to enter in a code, which is going to get texted to my phone, because that’s the option that I chose. If I don’t have my phone on me, or I need my additional backup measure, I can use that authentication app.
That’s a quick glimpse into setting up two factor authentication for Amazon, which they recently introduced and it’s a great thing. There’s one more thing I want to show you, it’s a website. Every so often, more and more popular websites and services begin to support this like Amazon just did. It’s always good to periodically check and see if

 

 

Get 10 days of FREE unlimited access to Lynda.com.

Monday Productivity Pointers
Business Tutorials
Jess Stratton tutorials
Lynda review



from Course reviews, freebies, coupons http://www.coursetag.com/free-monday-productivity-pointers-business-ios/

No comments:

Post a Comment